Sunday, February 21, 2010

Blog Assignment: Fitting the pieces together

Six weeks ago I explained in a discussion board post that I learn new material best by learning the principles and theory first, then by moving on to the practical hands on application. This would mean that I prefer to use the behaviorist approach and gradually the cognitive and constructivist style. After having completed the majority of this course I have come to the conclusion that I like my professor to utilize each one of the learning theories when appropriate. When information is new to me for example at the beginning of a course I like to understand what is expected of me along with the why’s and how’s. After some time to digest this information I would like to be able to demonstrate my understanding through performance from which I receive feedback. Once the information is more familiar then the cognitive approach is most effective. I can then be expected to apply my instruction to my former experiences and commit the material to information which is permanently retrievable (Ermert & Newby, 1993). During this course, social learning came sooner and is evident is this blog, as well as, the weekly discussion board. Social learning and connectivism will occur longer as I continue into the field of instructional design. “Bandura’s Social Learning Theory posits that people learn from one another, via observation, imitation, and modeling. The theory has often been called a bridge between behaviorist and cognitive learning theories because it encompasses attention, memory, and motivation.” (Learning-Theories.com, 2008). I have learned over the past few weeks that I am able to learn through all of the various learning styles and theories discussed with the exception of nature. I do not like the great outdoors and so any theory or lesson that would require me to be near insects and plants unprotected will end with little to no transfer of knowledge or retention. It is true we all have a unique combination of the “multiple intelligences” and I have discovered my deficiency. So I have learned that I prefer to learn in a highly social setting with the use of traditional theory and practical for a while then I like to move to hands- on demonstrations. I naturally add new information to stored memories. For example I was able to remember the constructivist theory by attaching both the word and definition to an image in my mind of scaffolding and a building under construction. With connectivism I have attached this to my network from which I brainstorm and share ideas via the use of today’s technology to stay connected to everyone everywhere.

Technology plays a major role when it comes to how I learn in my pursuit of this degree. I chose to pursue a Masters degree in instructional design and technology with a concentration on online learning. If this does not just scream out technology nothing will. This is the first college course in twenty years that requires me to focus on technology beyond a watered down application or crash course. I have learned how to search databases and locate information more effectively. I am now able to have information come to me via google reader. I learned how to use the voice recorder on my blackberry to create my PowerPoint presentation. I have learned how to create blogs, slide show and mind maps to name a few. I would say technology has played a major part in my learning and this will only increase along side traditional learning. I cannot express how enthused I am to be able to develop my teaching skills for the next generation of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment